Cat Deeley moved back to UK after family caught up in terrifying mall shooting

0
13

Cat Deeley has revealed she decided to move back to the UK after husband Patrick Kielty and her son were caught up in a shopping mall shooting.

The Birmingham-born TV presenter has lived in Los Angeles for 14 years hosting US shows including So You Think You Can Dance and The Choice. But she and her family have now made the decision to return to Britain.

Deeley, 43, told YOU magazine how Irish comedian Kielty, 49, and her four-year-old son Milo were on a trip to the Century City Mall in LA when police officers arrived and told them to take cover because a gunman was on the loose.

The former SM:TV presenter said: “They shut down the centre. I got a call from Paddy, saying, ‘They’re taking us out through the fire exits but nobody can get to their car. If we walk to a junction, can you come and get us?’

View this post on Instagram

“He wanted to keep Milo calm, so I didn’t understand the enormity of what was happening. as I was driving I began to see helicopters, news vans, firemen and SWAT [armed police response] squads. It makes me go funny now. It was terrifying.”

Deeley explained Kielty and her son had been in a fast food restaurant and were pushed into the kitchen, where the comedian distracted his son by playing Peppa Pig on his phone.

She said her husband was “shaken” by the incident but fortunately Milo, though “hot and cranky”, had not understood what was going on.

Deeley, who is also mother to two-year-old son James, admitted “fear” had played a part in the family’s decision to leave America.

She said: “There was a moment when I was with a friend looking at potential schools for Milo and we had to ask the question nobody wants to, ‘What do you do if there is a live shooter on the premises?’ They tell you exactly what would happen, whether the kids would go to a safe room or hide under the desks… The danger suddenly becomes a reality.”

Deeley and Kielty were friends for many years before they began dating. They married in Rome in 2012.

Gething urged people to return to social distancing to save lives as cases continue to rise across the UK.

The ‘BGT’ judge is focusing on his young family as he remains strong against the torrent of racial abuse directed towards him.

‘No sex, no violence, just a laugh’: mixed emotions in Cornish village as Doc Martin endsTV series lured fans from all over the world to Port Isaac, bringing jobs and money, but critics complain it created a circus

The EU has started locking out British travellers as Ireland and Finland become the first to adopt new quarantine thresholds. The Irish Government is expected to announce on Tuesday a new system for deciding quarantine as it ditches the “green” list of countries that it introduced at the start of the pandemic. It is expected to follow a standardised model being pushed by the European Commission under which arrivals from any country with more than 50 Covid cases per 100,000 of the population over the past 14 days and a positive test rate above three per cent could face quarantine. Britain’s surge in cases saw Monday’s Covid rate in the UK hit 51.1 per 100,000 people over the previous 14 days. With positive tests running at six per cent, the UK’s infection rate would trigger quarantine under the EU’s proposed new “traffic light” colour-coded system. From Saturday September 19, Finland is adopting a similar model where any traveller from a country with 25 new cases of the disease per 100,000 people will have to quarantine and take mandatory Covid tests. The moves follow the European Commission’s publication of its standardised “traffic light” colour system, infection rate threshold and a harmonised approach to travellers from high-risk areas to the bloc. It is understood that France, Germany, Spain and the Netherlands are in favour of a standardised approach to identifying “red list” countries although the national governments want to reserve the right to decide when and how they impose quarantine. Red list countries are defined as with more than 50 cases per 100,000 and a positivity rate above three per cent or more than 150 cases per 100,000 during a 14-day period – which would automatically hit Spain (270.7 cases), France (151.3) and the USA (159.4). Green list countries are classed as those with Covid rates of fewer than 25 cases per 100,000 and positivity rates below three per cent, while “amber” is fewer than 50 cases per 100,000 and positivity rates at three per cent or more. Paul Charles, chief executive of the travel consultancy The PC Agency, said: “It is good news that consensus is being agreed but bad news for travellers leaving the UK because our numbers are getting worse and people are going to have to quarantine in other countries. “It underlines the need for a more comprehensive testing regime so that people in red list countries can avoid quarantine if they are tested before or on arrival, then again after a short period in quarantine.” Finland could become the model for Europe with its proposals unveiled this week to introduce a new testing regime for arrivals from “red list” countries from November 23. It is similar to Iceland, which has a test on arrival then a second after five days quarantine, where travellers with negative Covid results are freed from self-isolating. Under Finland’s model, any traveller staying for over 72 hours can shorten their 14-day quarantine if they arrive with a negative test result taken no more than 72 hours before they enter the country. If they are still clear of Covid in a second test at 72 hours, they are freed from quarantine. Any person planning to stay for under 72 hours who arrives with a negative test result will be exempt from quarantine, in a move that will benefit business travellers and short-stay holidaymakers. France and Germany are among 30 countries that have already introduced border tests for travellers from “red list” countries. UK ministers, however, have yet to decide on whether to give the go-ahead to any trials of airport tests even though Heathrow has a testing facility built and ready to open. “There is a danger of Britain falling behind,” said Mr Charles.

The United Kingdom Internal Market Bill has cleared its first Commons hurdle after MPs approved giving it a second reading by 340 votes to 263, majority 77.

The European Union can resolve the Brexit row with Britain over the Withdrawal Agreement to prevent the ‘nightmare” of no deal, Ireland’s foreign minister said on Monday. Simon Coveney blamed “hawks in No 10” for convincing Boris Johnson to table the Internal Market Bill, which disapplies treaty provisions on export declarations for goods travelling from Britain to Northern Ireland and subsidy law if there is a no trade deal exit at the end of the year. The European Commission has warned it breaks international law and jeopardises the trade negotiations with Brussels. “I believe we can solve some of the problems that I understand are there,” Mr Coveney said. The EU and the UK needed to focus on how to surmount the issues without renegotiating the treaty, he said. “That’s where the focus needs to be now so we can concentrate on the bigger prize which is the basic trade deal that avoids the nightmare scenario for Britain and Ireland, and to a lesser extent the rest of the EU, where by January 1 there is no deal in place.” “I think the British Prime Minister does want a deal, but he has a strange way of going about it, » he added. No deal would mean WTO terms, which “essentially means significant tariffs and potentially quotas”, Mr Coveney said. Leo Varadkar, the deputy prime minister of Ireland, said the negotiating tactic had “backfired”. “Countries all around the world, the United States and other countries, are wondering if this is the kind of place we can do any deal with or any treaty with,” he said. First Minister Arlene Foster accused the EU of treating Northern Ireland as a « bargaining chip » in trade talks between the bloc and the UK Government. She said striking a free trade agreement would solve the issues with the Northern Irish protocol which was agreed last year. Brussels warned farmers, businesses and animal welfare campaigners on Friday that it may be forced to ban all British exports of live animals and animal products to the EU and Northern Ireland. British cheese, eggs, pork, poultry and lamb would be made illegal in the EU, which would have “catastrophic implications”, the National Farmers Union said, as the RSPCA warned animals could suffer needlessly in long queues at borders. The EU ban on an animal products trade worth more than £3 billion in 2019 would also apply to Northern Ireland, which, under the terms of the Withdrawal Agreement, stays subject to EU animal health rules to prevent a hard Irish border after the Brexit transition period. It would also jeopardise British horse racing by making the travel of racehorses to and from Ireland and France too difficult and force pet owners to send a blood sample to an EU approved lab three months before taking their cat, dog or ferret to the bloc. On Sunday, David Frost, the UK’s chief negotiator accused the EU of threatening UK food exports to Northern Ireland during the ongoing trade talks, which Michel Barnier has denied. European Commission officials, including a member of Mr Barnier’s team, told a meeting of trade associations and other stakeholders in Brussels on Friday that the ban was inevitable from January 1 unless the UK gives details of its future animal health and food safety regime. Unless the UK provides “full clarity” on the future rules and in particular its rules for imports, one EU official told the Telegraph, it would be impossible to add British animals and products to EU Sanitary and phytosanitary (SPS) lists for non-EU countries. « Unless they hear something by the end of October, it seems no animals will be listed – including pets – to enter the ‘EU SPS area’ which is the EU and Northern Ireland,” a source at the meeting said.

NHS services are being put at risk because a lack of coronavirus testing is forcing many staff to self-isolate when they could be at work. NHS Providers, which represents NHS trust leaders, says the recovery of services is being put in jeopardy while preparations for the winter pressures of COVID-19 and seasonal flu are also being hampered. It said particular concerns had been raised in Bristol, Leeds and London and there was a lack of detailed operational information on the shortages, such as how long they will last.

On 14 March a piece of human tissue, a small intestine, was recovered from Andrew Jones’s home at Bronwydd Road. It is the prosecution case that Andrew Jones lured Michael O’Leary to another property he owned, Cyncoed Farm, and he died.

The Queen has led royal tributes to the Duke of Sussex as he celebrates his 36th birthday from afar.The monarch, the Prince of Wales and the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge all shared a stream of nostalgic snaps as they wished Harry a “very Happy Birthday”.

“We will stay here until the riot police take us by force,” vowed Afghan refugee Abdulbasir Qarizada, his face covered by a black surgical mask. One of thousands left homeless after last weeks’ fire that destroyed a migrant camp on the Greek island of Lesbos, he and others have been sleeping rough ever since. For the last six days, their home has been a sun-scorched stretch of tarmac outside the town of Moria, where the camp now lies in ruins. But it was not the mid-summer heat or the lack of basic facilities that worried Mr Qarizada: instead, it was the prospect of relocation to Kara Tepe, a new camp being built on a military firing range. “We stayed in the Moria hell for one year, when we enter the new camp we don’t know when we’ll come back out,” he told The Telegraph, as behind him bulldozers levelled the beach for the new camp. Since it was built in 2015, the camp at Moria has been an undignified symbol of Europe’s migrant policies. What had become the continent’s large refugee facility was notoriously crowded and squalid, with limited access to food, sanitation and health care. However, with Moria now gone, the refugees fear they will now be herded into a new facility that will be even worse. Once construction is finished, Kara Tepe is expected to hold more than 12,000 homeless refugees and migrants. This looks unlikely to happen overnight, given the hastiness of the construction so far. “I can’t predict when the camp will be ready. It will be a constant frontier, constant work, twenty-four-seven,” said Stephan Oberriet, Doctors Without Borders’ Head of Mission in Greece. Mr Oberriet pointed out early flaws in the camp layout, including the narrow spacing between tents. “You need an access road wide enough for traffic, and they haven’t done that.”

Health chiefs have warned GPs that failing to offer appointments in person is a « breach of contract » as concerns grow that Covid-19 is leaving patients across Britain without crucial consultations. A letter will be sent to every family doctor in England, in which GPs will be told that they must carry out face-to-face appointments or risk being investigated. Following reports of a crippling NHS backlog, patients have been left unsatisfied with a lack of face-to-face contact. To gain an insight into how Covid-19 has impacted surgeries across Britain, we’ve heard from Telegraph readers to find out whether they feel that healthcare services have been compromised. ‘I was told that over 800 people had made appointments’ Peter Irwin: « I received a letter from my GP surgery saying I needed a flu vaccine and to phone one of two numbers to arrange on a specific date, the jab being administered in the underground car park of a shopping centre. An email address was also provided if the phone failed. « I phoned both numbers from my mobile, my wife’s mobile, my home phone and each time it cut out ringing immediately. My email on the subject was returned as not an available service. « I rang the surgery and was told it was my phone that was the problem. I phoned a second time, a day later and was told that over 800 people had made appointments and that I should keep ringing the appointment number. Just another episode in the merry go round. » ‘Surgeries are completely closed’ Ian Walker: « Is it an insult to imply they haven’t been doing their jobs? « Clearly some GPs have been providing some services, but it’s a fact that in many cases, surgeries are completely closed. « Patients are told to ring 111 if they need to be seen and are then told only zoom is available (a lot of use to someone in their 90s who has no internet access and was told not to allow anyone in the house, so no help to set it up from young relatives). « We’re also told to buy our own blood pressure monitors and test kits for blood samples and email the results. This happened to me. » ‘My wife is having to manage her own lung disease’ Les Farrington: « My wife has a long standing lung disease and as a former Biomedical Scientist, specialising in Microbiology, has largely managed her own condition for many years along with the help of our local GP surgery. « She has deteriorated and had several chest infections this year, and also developed an ear problem. She has twice received over the phone advice from two different GPs from our practice, who have never met her before. « After only marginal improvement following the second ground of antibiotics, last Friday she phoned the surgery again, in the hope that this time she would be seen. The triage process told her that a GP would call her back after 2:00 p.m. on Monday and she is still waiting for that phone call. « Our own daughter is a GP and can’t understand why my wife has not been seen. Surely GPs, who have gone through many years of training to practice, cannot gain job satisfaction from going through a checklist. Stop protecting yourselves and see patients face to face, especially the over 60s. »


SOURCE: https://www.w24news.com

Abonnez-vous à notre chaîne Youtube en cliquant ici: EBENE MEDIA TV

Vidéo du jour:

Donnez votre point de vue et aboonez-vous!

Votre point de vue compte, donnez votre avis

[maxbutton id= »1″]