Our data guru Craig Butt has updated his graphs showing the progress of Victoria’s second wave.
As we reported earlier, the 14-day case average in Melbourne is now 49.6 â within the 30-50 case range needed for the city’s next stage of reopening on September 28.
And here are the state’s case and death statistics. Note: the 14-day average on this graph might be slightly out because it does not factor in cases which may have been excluded from Victoria’s tally in the latest reporting period (which the above data from the DHHS does).
No new cases of COVID-19 have been diagnosed in Queensland in the past 24 hours after 6424 tests were conducted.
Deputy Premier and Health Minister Steven Miles said the state had recorded âjust five cases over the last seven days, which is very promisingâ.
âWhile we also see other states, particularly NSW and Victoria, continuing to make progress, sadly more people lost their lives to COVID-19 in Victoria in the last 24 hours than have in the entire year here in Queensland.
âTragically eight deaths in Victoria in the last 24 hours compared to six in Queensland all up.â
A Perth woman who sneaked into WA from Victoria hidden in a truck has apologised for her actions but has refuted claims she hitched her way into the state to avoid paying for hotel quarantine.
Asher Vander Sanden, 28, told Nine News Perth she felt « backed into a corner » when her flight home was cancelled and was « deep down very sorry » for putting people at risk.
Ms Vander Sanden was originally sentenced in August by Magistrate Andrew Matthews but her original sentence was set aside by Supreme Court Justice Jennifer Hill on Tuesday, who imposed a six-month community-based order with a requirement she completes 50 hours of community service instead.
Ms Vander Sanden snuck into WA in early August after hitching a ride with a truck driver she met at a Mildura roadhouse. She hid in a car inside the truck as it passed through the border checkpoint, and was then dropped at a petrol station to be collected by a friend.
According to the state government’s roadmap, Melbourne would be able to ease to the next stage of restrictions by September 28 if the average was between 30 and 50 cases per day.
While most Melburnians are working from home, some permitted workers are experiencing their seventh week in an empty city.
Channel Nine’s Andrew Lund tweeted this picture of his train at the artist formerly known as « peak hour » this morning.
NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian, Treasurer Dominic Perrottet, Minister for Skills and Tertiary Education Geoff Lee and Chief Health Officer Kerry Chant will provide an update on COVID-19 at 11am today.
Itâs a proposal being floated by car parking industry body Parking Australia as Melbourne plan to re-open and draw people back to the CBD.
âMulti storey car parks are obviously a piece of infrastructure that lend themselves to events or activities and events – not only the rooftops but also on the other levels because they have significant ventilation and are unenclosed spaces,â said Parking Australia CEO Stuart Norman.
âEvents are lovely outside but Melbourne’s weather can be indifferent so you need to have the ability to go to somewhere where thereâs some infrastructure and power.â
The idea would be that people could drive to the CBD and park on one level and attend events such as concerts, dining on a separate empty level, and Mr Norman wants to hear Melburnians’ other ideas for COVID-safe carpark activities.
Mr Norman said there had been preliminary discussions with Melbourne City Council over the idea, but was looking for buy-in from the state government.
Crucially, the industry is asking the Andrews government for a further easing of parking space and congestion levies for car park owners and operators as part of this events proposal.
Sources say the state is considering lowering the bar to reopen the border with NSW by halving the required number of days with no community transmission to 14, Lydia Lynch reported yesterday.
The current criteria to reopen its borders is 28 days of no community transmission, which has been labelled a « tall order » by NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian. Each time NSW health authorities are unable to figure out how someone acquired the virus, the clock resets to zero, as it did on Tuesday.
As reported yesterday, federal Labor has called for the military to be deployed to bring Australians stranded across the world home.
More than 23,000 Australian citizens remain stuck abroad after the nation’s international travel cap inflated plane ticket prices and limited capacity.
Speaking on ABC News Breakfast this morning, opposition leader Anthony Albanese said Prime Minister Scott Morrison was unwilling to consider solutions to the crisis. « There isn’t a shortage of [RAAF] planes that are sitting idle at the moment, » he said.
« There also has never been more hotel space. What we have is a Prime Minister saying, ‘It is all too hard.’ There is 25,000 Australians stranded. We know many of them are absolutely desperate to get home. »
Mr Albanese said he imagined the program could be run like the government’s evacuation of Australians from Wuhan and the Diamond Princess earlier this year, using quarantine facilities in Darwin.
« What we’ve had through this so-called national cabinet â that isn’t national and no longer looks anything like a cabinet â is the Prime Minister handing off these core responsibilities to the states and then being critical of the states, » he added. « It seems to me that the only thing that’s lacking here is national leadership. »
Donnez votre point de vue et aboonez-vous!
Votre point de vue compte, donnez votre avis
[maxbutton id= »1″]