The Mayor of London said the recent surge in COVID-19 cases in the capital was « deeply worrying ». .
Sadiq Khan urges the government to urge schools and colleges across London to close early and reopen later in January amid « significant » coronavirus outbreaks among 10-19 year olds.
In a letter to the Prime Minister, the Mayor of London said: « An urgent reflection is needed. . . close a few days early to close secondary schools, sixth grade and FE colleges and keep them closed longer after Christmas « .
It comes as schools in the Royal Borough of Greenwich, South East London, are forced to close and reschedule classes online as the pandemic « grows exponentially ».
The Mayor of London said the recent spike in COVID-19 cases in the capital was « deeply worrying » and needed further government action.
He wrote to Boris Johnson on Sunday calling for an immediate increase in testing options for people who work from home, as well as for students and employees in secondary schools and colleges.
He added that face covering should be mandatory in busy outdoor public areas due to the increase in Christmas shoppers on the streets.
« I urge the government to urgently provide additional support to control the spread, save lives and livelihoods, and ensure our NHS is not overwhelmed this winter. «
He added, « Reinforced testing is key to this. So I would like regular asymptomatic tests to be extended to all those unable to work from home, as well as students and staff in London Secondary Schools, Sixth Grade College and FE (Continuing Education) colleges. «
Mr Khan suggested that all schools and colleges in the capital should undergo « priority reviews » starting today and Tuesday.
He warned that moving from London from Tier 2 to Tier 3 would have « catastrophic » economic effects on businesses and « put hundreds of thousands of livelihoods at risk ». .
To protect businesses in London, he called on the Prime Minister to put in place a compensation system for any loss of income over the Christmas period.
He said the current support was « insufficient » to keep many businesses and self-employed people alive in the capital.
« Time is running out to get the virus under control in our city. So I urge the government to heed my call and give us the extra support we urgently need, « said Khan.
The latest data from Public Health England showed that COVID-19 case rates in every borough of London had risen in the seven days leading up to Jan.. December have risen.
The latest figures show that the Havering district has the highest coronavirus rate in London. In the seven days up to the 9th. December were 1. 314 new cases registered.
© 2020 Sky UK
Coronavirus, School, Sadiq Khan, Greenwich, London boroughs, Royal Borough of Greenwich
World News – UK – COVID-19: The Mayor of London urges the Prime Minister to close the Consider secondary schools
. . Related title :
– The Mayor of London said the recent surge in COVID-19 cases in the capital was & » deeply affected by & « ;.
– London entering Tier 3 coronavirus -Restrictions occurs, & # 39; disastrous & # 39; Mayor warns
– Why London might face Tier 3 lock restrictions
– London& # 39; Rise in Covid-19 cases deeply worrying, says Mayor Sadiq Khan
– <a href = "/? S = UK Coronavirus LIVE: Cases of London Covid are rising in even districts as schools urge to close before tier 3 decision before tier 3 decision
– London Borough to close all schools as pressures to move to the internet increase Online learning
– Covid-19: London Council urges schools to teach online
– Council Asks Greenwich Schools To Close As Covid-19 Rates Rise
– Rapid Coronavirus Rising To Force Greenwich School To Close
– All Greenwich London Borough Schools are closing for Christmas holidays
Donnez votre avis et abonnez-vous pour plus d’infos
Vidéo du jour: